The History of Oakwood Court
Oakwood Court is considered to be one of the most prestigious and attractive Edwardian mansion blocks in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
The court is composed of a total of 12 blocks: nine original Edwardian blocks (commissioned in 1899) and three Art Deco blocks (completed in 1930).
With its impressive balcony and roof detail dominating the skyline, this imposing red brick mansion block is situated close to the amenities of Kensington High Street. Oakwood Court is located between Abbotsbury Road and Addison Road and is a stone's throw from Holland Park. The closest tube stops are Kensington High Street (Circle and District Lines), Holland Park (Central Line) and Kensington Olympia (London Overground).
Extract from British History Online
The first large blocks of flats were introducted into the Holland Park area at the turn of the century when Oakwood Court was built (Plate 112d). The site of the flats, to the north of St. Barnabas' Church, no longer belonged to the estate, most of the land having been sold to James McHenry after his purchase of Oak Lodge. The Oakwood Court development brought about the final disappearance of the ponds called The Moats, which McHenry had converted into an ornamental lake, and necessitated the demolition of Oak Lodge and the three large houses in Addison Road to the north of it. The builders, who had acquired the freehold of the site, were the brothers Willian Henry and Edward James Jones of Victoria Street, Westminster. Notice of their intention to build the first blocks was given to the district surveyor in August 1899. An application made to the London County Council in 1900 by William G. Hunt, architect and surveyor, of Bedford Gardens, Kensington, for approval of the frontage line to Addison Road suggests that he may have been the author of the designs for most of the blocks, although these were built over a period of several years and other architects were involved. (ref 182) The only radical departure from the initial design cam in 1928-30 when Nos. 31-62 Oakwood Court were erected to the desins of Richardson and Gill. (ref 183)
Source: 'The Holland Estate: Since 1874', Survey of London: Volume 37: Northern Kensington (1973), pp. 126-150.